Although the Internet protocol suite has been widely used by academia and the military industrial complex since the early 1980s, events of the late 1980s and 1990s such as more powerful and affordable computers, the advent of fiber optics, the popularization of HTTP and the Web browser, and a push towards opening the technology to commerce eventually incorporated its services and technologies into virtually every aspect of contemporary life.
Around three billion people around the world are using internet. The countries with largest number of internet users includes China, United States, and India.
Advantages of Internet
- Unlimited Communication: Services such as Skype have helped people from geographically segmented countries to interact and share ideas. As such, people are able to share their thoughts and views on matters affecting the globe.
- Message boards where people can discuss ideas on any topic. Ability to get wide range of opinions. People can find others that have a similar interest in whatever they are interested in.
- Things such as Yahoo Answers and other sites where kids can have readily available help for homework.
Disadvantages of Internet
- Pornography that can get in the hands of young children too easily
- It can be quite depressing to be on the internet and realize just how uneducated so many people have become in today’s society.
- Cybercriminals could trick you into downloading a backdoor Trojan that would give them a back entry to your PC, where they could then record your banking credentials.
- Personal Information: If you use the Internet, your personal information such as your name, address, etc. can be accessed by other people. If you use a credit card to shop online, then your credit card information can also be ‘stolen’ which could be akin to giving someone a blank check.
Note: You can use online translation tool to translate this essay in your native language for reading purpose only. Many translation tool support several Indian languages such as Hindi, Gujarati, Marathi, French, Punjabi, Spanish, Bengali, Assamese, German, Hindi, Chinese (Traditional and Simplified), Bhojpuri, Tamil, Malayalam, Telugu, Urdu, and other.